This project was contemplated as the twelfth Funarte Marc Ferrez Photography Prize 2012
Born in 1951 in Barcelos / Portugal.
Begun his career at the Mackenzie University, in 1973.
Hired by Visão Magazine in 1975, assumed the management of the Photographic Department in 1979. In the same year created the Agencia F4 with his brother Juca Martins, Nair Benedicto and Ricardo Malta.
In 1984 started working as a free-lancer with companies such as Monsanto, Pirelli, Goodyear, CBMM, DZ, Caterpillar, Cambuhy Citros, BNDES, DowAgrosciences, BASF, Busa, Cargill and many others.
In 1991 created, together with Laura Del Mar and Juca Martins, Pulsar Imagens, the most complete and specialized image bank in Brazil. It gathers the photographic production of more than 60 photographers from all regions of Brazil.
Currently is the Editor in Chief of Pulsar Imagens and still shoots for the most important agribusiness companies in Brazil, having his pictures published in hundreds of books of this subject.
Author of a large portrait collection from the Brazilian food production chain achieved over 30 years travelling around the country.
In 1981/1982 received the International Nikon Prize / Japan.
His work can be found in the following permanent collections:
– MASP – Museu de Arte de São Paulo Assis Chateaubriand – São Paulo / SP
– Instituto Nacional de Belas Artes / Mexico
– Casa da Fotografia Fuji – São Paulo / SP
– National Museum of Natural History – Smithsonian Institute – EUA
– Instituto Itaú Cultural – São Paulo / SP
– Fundação Cultural de Curitiba / PR
Took part in exhibitions in Brazil, Italy, France, Mexico, Equador and Cuba:
– 1981 – 2º Colóqui Latino-Americano de Fotografia – Mexico
– 1982 – Hecho em Latino-America. 1º Encontro Nacional de Fotografia Contemporânea. Quito / Equador
– 1983 – Fotógrafos brasileiros na Copa do Mundo de 1982. Salão Fuji / SP
– 1983 – Brèsil dês Brèsiliens. Centre Georges Pompidou – Beaubourg. Paris / France
– 1984 – Elis Regina. Salão Fuji / SP
– 1985 – Human Rights. Centro Cultural São Paulo / SP
– 1986 – Photojournalism of the 80s. MASP – Museu de Arte de São Paulo / SP
– 1988 – 17th Trienale de Milano / Italy. Subject: The world city and the future of the metropole
– 1990 – Imagens de São Paulo . MASP – Museu de Arte de São Paulo / SP
– 1990 – Profession: photojournalist. The look of F4. Casa da Fotografia Fuji – São Paulo / SP
– 1990 – Brazilian photojournalists. Museu da Imagem e do Som-MIS / SP
– 1991 – Bienal de Havana / Cuba
– 1992 – Imagens da terra / Land images (individual exibition). Museu da Imagem e do Som-MIS / SP
– 1994 – Cem anos de futebol. Pinacoteca do estado de São Paulo / SP
– 2004 – Coleção Pirelli – MASP – Museu de Arte de São Paulo / SP
– 2005 – Coletivo fotográfico. Museu da Imagem e do Som-MIS / SP